What is the definition of the VTC status?
“VTC”: meaning of an acronym that has become famous
The term VTC means “Passenger Vehicle with Driver”. We can also say Transport Car with Driver. So we are a VTC driver and not a VTC, strictly speaking.
More precisely, the term designates the “operators who make available to their customers one or more transport cars with driver, under conditions fixed in advance between the parties.” (Article L 3122-1 of the Transport Code).
What are the contours of the profession?
Concretely, the VTC driver is defined by two aspects: the transport of people and the fact of fixing in advance the conditions of pick-up. On the transport side, a VTC cannot be a vehicle with more than 9 seats. If this threshold is exceeded, we pass into the context of heavy passenger transport, which requires a specific transport capacity.
The definition in advance of the terms of the pick-up contract between the driver and the VTC is what differentiates it from the taxi. The taxisjoy indeed a monopoly of marauding, that is to say that they are the only ones who can be directly hailed by their customers on the street. This is why there are two options available to the VTC driver: he can either develop a client portfolio or, for example, become a partner of a company or a hotel, or use a VTC booking platform as a driver, like Uber, Private Driver and others.
VTC Taxis, the great debate
The arrival of VTC platforms in France has disrupted the transport market, especially in cities where taxis were king. The strong resistance of taxis has led the government to gradually tighten the regulations governing the profession of VTC. The argument? The financial and regulatory difficulty to obtain the taxi license led to unfair competition from private cars.
More important legislation has therefore come to give a stricter definition of the status of VTC. In particular, the Grandguillaume Law has prohibited access to the profession for well-off people. These, holders of transport transport capacity, can no longer carry out the activity of VTC from January 1, 2018 in agglomerations with more than 100,000 inhabitants.
What are the rules for access to the profession?
How to become a VTC driver? Becoming a VTC involves obtaining a professional VTC card, issued by the prefecture. For this, how to do it? In addition to relatively light initial conditions (being of legal age, having the license for more than 3 years, having an empty criminal record), specific steps must be followed.
- Follow a mandatory VTC training: it is necessary to follow a VTC training in an approved training center. This allows you to prepare for the VTC exam, necessary to validate your achievements.
- Pass the VTC exam: the exam, defined by the Thévenoud law and organized since the Grandguillaume law by the CMA, is divided into 7 theoretical modules (management, security, languages …) and a practical exam. The success of the exam makes it possible to obtain the famous sesame: the professional card! Without it, it is impossible to exercise. It is the main condition for becoming a driver as defined by the regulations governing VTC.
- Get a provisional license: have you passed your VTC exam? Congratulations! You can now apply for your provisional license at the DREAL in your region. This one will allow you in particular to create a private car company! Indeed, the profession is regulated, it is necessary to present your provisional license to be able to register a VT company
- Create your legal structure: concretely, you need to practice within a legal structure. If you want to be independent, you have the choice between an individual company or a company form (EURL, SASU for example). The majority of VTC drivers are self-employed or SASU. You can also choose to be an employee. Be careful, just because you are an employee of a private car company does not mean that you are exempt from a license. Attention: also remember to download a VTC business plan template to make your financial forecasts and anticipate the income that you will generate with your VTC activity.
- Obtain your VTC professional card: once your company is registered, you will be able to obtain your definitive professional card. This is the green light to become a VTC and embark on the adventure!
Be aware that the steps to become an Uber driver are almost the same as those we have just outlined. To find out more, don’t forget to download our free VTC guide.
Update : 16/08/2018
Editorial staff: Malo de Braquilanges, graduate of Sciences Po and specialized in supporting business creators at Legalstart.fr . Under the direction of Pierre Aidan, doctor of law and graduate of Harvard.